Prospective Students

Transfer to the College of Design

Considering transferring to the Iowa State University College of Design? We offer several options for transfer students. Here, you will find resources to help you plan your transition and choose your major. The college has two types of programs: non-enrollment-managed and enrollment-managed.

Non-Enrollment-Managed Majors
Our transfer-friendly, non-enrollment-managed majors allow for a "2+2 plan." If you have an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) degree or have completed four semesters of general education requirements elsewhere, you may be able to complete your bachelor's degree through one of our non-enrollment-managed majors in just two years (four semesters).

Begin taking courses in your major immediately upon enrolling at Iowa State. You can start your studies in the fall, spring or summer semester. Among the majors in the college, these options apply the largest number of transfer credits toward degree completion. You can also pursue these majors in conjunction with a double major, secondary major, or minor at Iowa State.

Non-enrollment-managed majors include:

Enrollment-Managed Majors
If you wish to pursue one of the enrollment-managed majors, you will first complete the Core Design Program and then apply for admission to your major of choice at the end of spring semester. After transferring, enrollment-managed majors typically take four to five years to complete. Transfer credits will be evaluated to count toward degree requirements on a case-by-case basis. In most cases, transfer credits will not accelerate time to degree completion.

Enrollment-managed majors include:

Additional Resources for Transfer Students

Transfer Plans*

Des Moines Area Community College

Iowa Valley Community College District
(Ellsworth Community College, Marshalltown Community College and Grinnell Community College)

Kirkwood Community College

Northwest Iowa Community College

Western Iowa Technical Community College

AA in General Studies from an Iowa community college or equivalent

*Articulation agreements with transfer plans for other Iowa community colleges are under development.

If you earn an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree or complete credit labeled as Career/Technical, note that a maximum of 16 credit hours or Career/Technical coursework can be transferred to ISU. An additional 6 credit hours of Career/Technical coursework may be transferred and counted as academic based on the requirements of the degree. This will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis or as stated within an articulation agreement or transfer plan.